It’s a nice metaphor for how we see our role in the state of Kentucky. When connected, the upper branches of the trees in our forests provide habitat and protection for a whole ecosystem of creatures and plants.
To Canopy, “Good Business” means taking care of employees; strong, ethical, transparent leadership; policies and procedures that reflect strong values; and positive impact on our neighborhoods, communities, and environment.
The “Good” a company does means positive outcomes for all stakeholders.
At this time, Canopy will only be certifying for-profit companies that are currently headquartered in the state of Kentucky. We accept companies of all shapes and sizes. Any type of business structure is allowed, including LLCs, franchises, and others.
The B-Corp Certification is a globally recognized standard that uses a rigorous assessment process to produce a score by which your company can be compared to others. Our Certification is crafted specifically around Kentucky issues and for Kentucky businesses, guiding companies through escalating levels of operationalizing their Good with our Canopy Library of resources.
Our annual certification fees are determined by a sliding scale based on your company’s revenue from your most recent tax return. Check out the Pricing Table on our website to see what the cost will be to your company.
Your company may work at your own pace, as long as all requirements are submitted by their accompanying due dates. To become initially Canopy Certified, you have 12 months to complete your Canopy Fundamentals. Every year that you renew your Canopy Certification, you have 6 months to complete the continuous improvement requirements.
By design, in becoming Canopy Certified, your company will be sharpening it’s focus on continuously improving culture, leadership, governance, and external impact practices for your business. This will, in turn, drive business results, amplify statewide economic development, and catalyze social and environmental solutions for the state of Kentucky.
- Internally: The practices of the Culture, Leadership, and Governance Tracks in the Canopy Certification aim to support your company’s culture, working environment, and employee retention. By instilling these practices, your company should be best supported for improvements in each of these areas.
- Externally: The tenets of the External Impact Track aim to operationalize the good you’re already doing for those in your community and in our environment. Being more intentional with these practices, which is what the External Impact track also encourages, will help your business by focusing its work in certain impact areas. Focused impact builds your business’s brand and helps you stand out against your competitors.
- Growth: The upcoming generation of customers and workers want to buy from and work for businesses who are doing good. Whether it be caring about their employees, for social good, or for the environment, when a company is able to authentically demonstrate this care, a lot of folks are more likely to buy from, work for, and support that company.
- You’ll get to proudly display your Canopy Certification to a growing network of consumers and businesses that are aware of and want to engage good businesses. With the Canopy Certified Seal toolkit you receive upon initial Certification, you’ll have everything you need to get the word out.
- You’ll get access to Canopy’s growing Network of like-minded businesses and community supporters, Curriculum Learning Modules, Best Practice Case Studies, other resources, and events.
- Canopy will display and promote all Canopy Certified Businesses across our networks and platforms.
- Canopy will work toward beneficial legislation for Canopy Certified Companies.
Your donation will help Canopy:
Educate: Our team travels the state to educate diverse audiences on the importance of Good Business, and how Canopy is positioning Kentucky to lead the global Good Business movement.
Certify: The Canopy Certification guides Kentucky businesses towards achieving measurable social and environmental Good, operating with highest ethical standards, and taking care of all stakeholders along the way.
Connect: Canopy will serve as the hub for Kentucky’s social and environmental entrepreneurs, conscious consumers, nonprofit organizations, business owners, and more!
While the Canopy Certification is currently only available to companies headquartered in the state of Kentucky, there are plent of ways an individual can get involved, even if you’re outside of the state.
Sign up for volunteer opportunities through our Volunteer Interest Form.
Join the Good Business Network by subscribing to our newsletter for free resources, events, opportunities, and Canopy updates on how to get involved.
Canopy works to facilitate successful for-profit and nonprofit partnerships. We encourage Canopy Certified Companies to partner with local nonprofits, and we often work together with other nonprofits to create Canopy’s Library of resources.
Set up a meeting with our Director of Development, Ben Smock, if you’re interested in partnering with Canopy.
Join the Good Business Network by subscribing to our newsletter for for free resources, events, opportunities, and Canopy updates.