Listen, Support. Take Action. Use the resources below and consider showing your support racially just and inclusive business practices by signing the Charter for Good Business
For Business Owners
Canopy encourages you as a business leader to release a public statement as soon as possible regarding the racial justice movement currently taking place throughout the US and in KY. This statement should exhibit your commitment to supporting your company’s black employees as well as your commitment to upholding Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in your workplace.
Why this is important:
- Your employees need to hear from you, especially your black employees.
- Your customers are watching and making lasting decisions.
- Your continued silence only allows for unintended virtue signaling (being that you don’t care about the movement)
A strong statement has three parts: (1) acknowledge the problem (racial inequity), (2) show your support for black employees and community members, and (3) the action steps your organization is taking to support black employees and community members and inequities taking place.
- Black Lives Matter – International activist movement that campaigns against violence and systemic racism and builds power to bring justice, healing, and freedom to Black people across the globe.
- Campaign Zero – Police reform campaign proposed by activists associated with Black Lives Matter. Launched in 2015, it’s now a comprehensive platform of research-based policy solutions to end police brutality in America.
- Reclaim the Block – Began in 2018 and organizes Minneapolis community and city council members to move money from the police department into other areas of the city’s budget that truly promote community health and safety.
- Color of Change – Progressive nonprofit civil rights advocacy organization
- NAACP – National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP) aim is to secure the political, educational, social, and economic equality of rights in order to eliminate race-based discrimination and ensure the health and well-being of all persons.
- Northstar Health Collective – Mutual aid group of organizers and street medics, is providing healthcare and other resources to activists and organizers on the ground.
- Unicorn Riot – Non-profit media organization dedicated to fair, on-the-ground reporting on civil disobedience, police brutality and white supremacy.
- Audre Lorde Project – A Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Two Spirit, Trans and Gender Non-Conforming People of Color community organizing center, focusing on the New York City area.
- Minnesota Freedom Fund – Community based nonprofit that combats the harms of incarceration by paying bail for low-income individuals who cannot afford to. They have both a criminal bail fund as well as an immigration bail fund.
- The Bail Project – Post bail for people who can’t afford it, reuniting families and restoring the presumption of innocence – one person at a time.
- Official George Floyd Memorial Fun
- I Run with Maud
- 75 Things White People Can Do for Racial Justice
- Anti-Racism Project
- Rachel Ricketts’ anti-racism resources
- Resources for White People to Learn and Talk About Race and Racism
- Save the Tears: White Woman’s Guide by Tatiana Mac
- Showing Up For Racial Justice’s educational toolkits
- Why is this happening?
- Zinn Education Project’s teaching materials
- #TalkAbout Trayvon: A Toolkit for White People
- Text “Floyd” to 55156 to sign petitions that demand accountability for George Floyd
- Text “Justice” to 668366 to sign petitions and demand accountability for George Floyd
- Text “Enough” to 55156 to sign petitions that demand accountability for Breonna Taylor
- Text “Justice” to 55156 to sign petitions that demand accountability for Ahmaud Arbery
- White House Petition: https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/justice-george-floyd-0
- Color of Change: